Whale Shark Tour
Snorkel with the biggest fish on earth, the whale shark.
The Whale Shark season here in the Yucatan peninsula in Mexico starts usually around end of May and goes more or less until the middle of September. It is forbidden to dive with the Whale Sharks by law to protect them and to make sure that we don’t scare them away.
What we can offer to you is a Whale Shark snorkel tour. This tour is an activity in which the whole family can join, and it is also very interesting for non-divers.
Whale Sharks are the biggest fish on earth and they can grow up to 12m/40ft. It is an amazing experience to swim with them and see them how gracefully and peacefully they glide through the water.
This is one of only a few places on earth where you can see so many Whale Sharks in one spot. If you are lucky you can sometimes see over 100 Whale Sharks at the same time.
For this tour we are working together with a local tour operator with a nice and fast boat which has space for up to 10 people.
More general informations about Whale Sharks here.
What to bring:
- Wetsuit (shorty)/ life vest (is provided)
- Fins/ Snorkel (is provided)
- UV-Shirt (recommended)
- Biodegradable sunscreen
- Dry clothes
- Sunglasses/ Hat
- Personal belongings
- Tips for the crew (recommended)
What not to bring:
- Valuable Items
- Non biodegradable sunscreen
This is a full day program. The boat leaves the Harbor in Cancun at 6.45am in the morning. From the Harbor it takes between 1-3h to arrive at the spot where we can find the whale sharks. The boat ride duration varies a lot time wise, because the whale sharks are constantly moving. During the boat ride is also a good time to provide you with all the informations you will need to safely snorkel with the whale sharks. Once we arrive at the whale sharks the snorkelling starts. You will always snorkel with a snorkel guide. The maximum amount of snorkelers in the water at the same time, from the same boat, can not exceed more than 2 (+guide). After the snorkelling, it is already time to head back to Cancun. On the way back will we serve you a refreshment, which is a sandwich and sodas. You will be back at the Harbor in Cancun approximately between 3.00-4.00pm in the afternoon.
The tour includes:
- the boat ride from Cancun Harbor to the whale sharks and back
- A snorkel guide
- Snorkel gear and a life vest (If you bring your own shorty or wetsuit, you will not need to wear a life vest in the water)
- Water and sodas during the whole day, plus a sandwich on the way back to Cancun.
Not included is:
- the transport from Playa del Carmen to the Harbor in Cancun. We recommend a rental car, but we are also happy to book a private transport for you.